Adrianne Palicki is an American actress who plays Commander Kelly Grayson on The Orville.I had some of the best moments of my life on The Orville, such as beating the crap out of Charlize Theron.— Adrianne Palicki
Adrianne Palicki has had a long career acting in sci-fi and action related media. She played Agent Bobbi Morse on Marvel's The Agents of Shield, Ms. Perkins in the John Wick film franchise, Jaye in G.I. Joe: Retaliation, Jessica Moore on the TV series Supernatural, and even Diana Prince in a failed 2011 TV pilot for a Wonder Woman series.
MacFarlane approached Adrianne Palicki directly to fill the role of Kelly Grayson, giving her a copy of the pilot script to read first. At the time, the two had been friends for over ten years. Palicki has repeatedly said that she was convinced to join The Orville after reading only the first five pages. "You kind of meet Kelly when Ed [Mercer] walks in on her with a blue alien, and ... some blue stuff comes out of [the alien's] ear, head, whatever, and covers her. It was one of those things where I lost my mind laughing."[n 1] After, MacFarlane asked if she wanted the role, to which Palicki enthusiastically agreed.
Palicki fell in love with her character, finding Kelly to mirror her own personality in some ways, but she worried that the extremely funny opening of the pilot made it difficult to portray Grayson in a way that would be sympathetic with audiences. "This was going to be the biggest challenge of my life," Palicki recalled in a November 30, 2017 interview. "To come back from that as a character and hopefully win people over." However, Palicki's greatest acting challenge was to come in Season 2.
Season 2 Edit
Palicki played both a young and old version of Kelly Grayson in the episode Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, a formidable challenge as she had to memorize and perform a vast majority of the episode's dialogue. She later came to love the experience and, when asked about what motivates her as an actress, Palicki referred back to this episode:
It's about the challenge. I hate being stagnant.... There's a Kelly-Kelly episode where I had to change back-and-forth per shot into two different characters, so I had to know the entire script by heart. ... There was so much to that that was challenging, and that's what makes me better, that's what makes me strive.
Marriage to Scott Grimes Edit
Grimes proposed to her on New Years Eve 2018 on a dock at a lake with a bottle of champagne. She later recalled: "He'd thrown off this scent; we had talked about marriage and he said he eventually would some day." Grimes took her to a dock on a lake at a hotel, opened champagne, and played their song, "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" by Starship. He gave her a pair of earrings and a teddy bear, with the engagement ring hidden inside, and then proposed. The wedding ceremony occurred in May 2019.
- Even before The Orville, Palicki was friends with J. Lee, Seth MacFarlane, and "dearest friends" with Scott Grimes.
- She has often stated that her favorite episode is Krill, although she has also said that it is impossible to pick a favorite.
- While shooting the episode Pria, Palicki and Charlize Theron declined the use of stuntwomen for their fight on the Bridge, preferring to duke it out themselves.
- In the episode Cupid's Dagger, the song "Any Way You Want It" by Journey was handpicked by Palicki for her karaoke performance. Palicki was initially petrified of singing and refused; MacFarlane assuaged her by suggesting she pick something from Journey's discography. Palicki says she was drunk while singing.
- According to Grimes, Palicki breaks character the most and the hardest, often laughing for long periods of time and even crying. When she does cry from laughter, the crew must stop filming because artists must reapply her make-up.
See also Edit
- The World of the Orville, page 38
- 2017 San Diego Comic-Con interview with JoBlo TV Show
- October 2017 interview with BUILD Series
- October 2017 profile by, and interview with, Vanity Fair
- October 2017 interview with Collider
- 2017 New York Comic-Con interview with WithAnAccentTV
- March 2018 interview with Afterbuzz TV
- August 2018 interview with CineMovie
- ↑ Palicki also said this a month earlier. "Adrianne Palicki Chats About The New FOX Series, "The Orville"". BUILD Series. Oct. 4, 2017.
- ↑ []
- ↑ "Adrianne Palicki Chats About The New FOX Series, "The Orville"" BUILD Series. Oct. 4, 2017.
- ↑ Rich, Katey. "Adrianne Palicki, One-Time Wonder Woman, Isn’t Scared of Angry Sci-Fi Fans". Vanity Fair. Oct. 12, 2017.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Radish, Christina. "‘The Orville’: Adrianne Palicki on the Incredible Sets and the Hopeful Side of Sci-Fi". Collider. Oct. 5, 2017.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 "Seth MacFarlane and Adrianne Palicki". The Talk. Nov. 30, 2017.
- ↑ "THE ORVILLE Exclusive Seth MacFarlane & Cast Interviews - #SDCC 2017". JoBlo TV Show Trailers. July 24, 2017.
- ↑ "Adrianne Palicki Talks With GYGO". Get Your Own Geek. May 3, 2019.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 "Adrianne Palicki Talks With GYGO". Get Your Own Geek. May 3, 2019.
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Bacardi, Francesca. "'Orville' co-stars Adrianne Palicki and Scott Grimes to divorce after 2 months of marriage". Fox News. July 23, 2019.
- ↑ "'ORVILLE' STARS CMDR. GRAYSON & LT. MALLOY BACK ON??? Lead Actors Nix Divorce". TMZ. Nov. 26, 2019.
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 "NYCC 2017: Adrianne Palicki & Scott Grimes - The Orville". WithAnAccentTV. Oct. 13, 2017.
- ↑ Sisk, Angela. "The Orville Panel Comic Con 2018 Part One". July 22, 2018.
- ↑ Sun - Main Stage | NYCC 2019 | SYFY WIRE. SyFy Wire. Oct. 6, 2019.
- ↑ "The Orville star Adrianne Palicki beams aboard the ORVILLELAND podcast". ORVILLELAND. Jan. 4, 2019.
- ↑ CineMovie. "The Orville's Adrianne Palicki and Penny Johnson Jerald On What They'd Like To See On Season 2". YouTube. Aug. 6, 2018.
- ↑ "Adrianne Palicki talks fighting Charlize Theron, karaoke on The Orville and GI Joe." Afterbuzz TV. March 17, 2018.
- ↑ Radish, Christina. "Scott Grimes on ‘The Orville’ Season 2’s Bigger Scope and Working with Seth MacFarlane". Collider. Jan. 10, 2019.