Dann is a Lieutenant and Engineer stationed on the USS Orville. According to Admiral Halsey, he was stationed aboard the Orville prior to the promotion of Ed Mercer as Captain. His species, while common in the Planetary Union, is currently unnamed.I'm sorry, but do you just ride up and down the fricking elevator all day? Is that your fricking job?— Kelly Grayson
In the winter of 2419, Dann suggests to Captain Ed Mercer and Commander Kelly Grayson that the ship should have music in the elevators. With their blessing, Dann adds a selection of music that plays in the ship's elevators.
Months later, Dann approaches Lieutenants Gordon Malloy and John LaMarr at a farewell reception for Chief Engineer Steve Newton. Malloy and LaMarr explain that they have placed a piece of Lieutenant Yaphit in the reception buffet as a practical joke. Dann laughs and hints that he wants to be included in future pranks.
Days later, Dann introduces himself to the engineering team as a man who loves refinishing antique furniture and banana walnut pancakes, but his introduction is cut short when Yaphit calls the activity "stupid."
Yearning. Passion. Search.
Who will feed the coals of joy in the stove of emotion?
My fingers ache to penetrate the hearth.
Love is the fishhook that hooks the fish.Dann insists upon critical feedback but grows offended by her analysis: "I didn't say take a dump all over my spirit." She retires to the bathroom; he messages her "I miss you" via comscanner; and the date concludes. Later, Dann read the poem to Gordon, who was more impressed with it and encouraged Dann to write a book, which Dann said he would.
In order to stop a virus that had entered the Orville's systems via a pornographic simulation used by Bortus, who had been provided with the program by Unk, Dann works with John in implementing the anti-virus created by Isaac to stop the infection at its source in simulator 3. Upon arrival, they find the simulation is still active, populated by Moclan lovers who approach the pair with a proposal to make love while they are attempting to work; while John feels uncomfortable, Dann politely introduces himself. When Isaac's program fails to have an effect, Isaac himself is summoned to simulator 3 after returning from Nyxia. Fortunately, Isaac personally eliminates the virus just in time for the Orville to escape Nyxia's sun.
When the Orville receives the first interstellar message from the planet Regor 2, Dann is, along with the rest of the crew, excited to know that the ship will be making a first contact, sharing a high five with Ensign Turco. A month later, he attends the late joint birthday party of Commander Kelly Grayson and Lieutenant Commander Bortus, which is held aboard the Orville bridge.
Dann is working in engineering when he overhears Isaac inform John and Gordon that he is going on a date with Doctor Claire Finn, expressing his delight for the Kaylon. When John suggests that Isaac dresses "snazzy", Dann offers to loan some of his "really neat" shirts for Isaac to use, adding "not just for the date, anytime." That night, Dann is among the audience that attends the Union Symphony concert in the Shuttle Bay, sitting right at the back.
Dann is present when Locar is loaned from Moclus to perform upgrades to the Orville's Deflector Screens. He praises Ensign Turco's good luck cupcakes, happily taking one while humorously acting out that the cupcake, which has an edible miniature of the Orville atop it, is being pulled into his mouth via a tractor beam. Once the test of the upgrades proves to be a success, Dann is pleased to see Locar finally accept a cupcake.
A month later, Dann is having a drink by himself in the Mess Hall when he is witness to Talla Keyali's use of the pelpifa, a Xelayan instrument which combines musical notes with holographic patterns. When Talla blames her parents forcing her to learn it at school on her having "never got laid", Kelly observes that the opposite may be true now as she indicates Dann, who comments that the pattern Talla created was "really pretty", to which she beams him a thankful smile. Soon after, Dann is working in engineering when he suggests to one of his colleagues that the ship should have a weekly casual day where, rather than the standard issue uniform, one may be permitted to come to work in a T-shirt. His colleague concurs and suggests that he submit a request to the Captain, assuring Dann that he will add his name to it. It is at this point that Orrin Channing arrives, making himself known to the engineering staff.
Dann, despite his optimistic demeanor, is shown to be very insecure. He is visibly upset when Grayson snaps at him in the lift. When set up on a blind date with Alara Kitan she is at first hesitant to go out with him. He responds to this by claiming she's not attracted to him due to his large head and proceeds to rant about how his species has a hard time finding mates outside their planet. At Mooska's, Dann continues to become insulted by inconsequential actions by Kitan.
Dann and his unnamed alien species were one of the first designed aliens for the show. In November, 2016, Howard Berger - then make-up department head - dressed Dirk Rogers as the alien and presented him to Seth MacFarlane. MacFarlane was impressed and the character Dann was born: "Oh, my God. I love this character. I'm going to write this character into the script."
Initially, MacFarlane wanted Rogers to play Dann but Berger wanted keep to his co-worker free to work on new design prototypes. Actor Mike Henry was cast in his place, although Rogers does appear as an alien scientist named Samm of the same species in the pilot episode.
- Dann loves refinishing antique furniture and enjoys banana nut pancakes.
- He writes poetry as a hobby.
- Two members of Dann's as yet unnamed species, wearing grey uniforms, can be seen in the background among the crew as Ed Mercer briefs them before the launch of the Orville in Old Wounds, though Dann himself is absent. Another such alien makes a more prominent appearance as a scientist at the Epsilon Science Station.
- According to Howard Berger, the scientist's name is Samm.
- Dann picks out the song "The Straight Life" by Bobby Goldsboro for the elevator.
- He and Ed have the same birthday.
- Episode 1x09: Cupid's Dagger
- Episode 1x11: New Dimensions
- Episode 2x01: Ja'loja
- Episode 2x02: Primal Urges
- Episode 2x05: All the World is Birthday Cake
- Episode 2x06: A Happy Refrain
- Episode 2x07: Deflectors
- Episode 2x08: Identity, Pt. 1
- Episode 2x10: Blood of Patriots
- Dann the Alien Official Site - Contains many behind-the-scenes production photos from the first two seasons
- ↑ Episode 9: Cupid's Dagger
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Episode 1x01: Old Wounds
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Episode 1x09: Cupid's Dagger
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Episode 1x11: New Dimensions
- ↑ Episode: Ja'loja
- ↑ Episode 2x02: Primal Urges
- ↑ Episode 2x05: All the World is Birthday Cake
- ↑ Episode 2x06: A Happy Refrain
- ↑ Episode 2x07: Deflectors
- ↑ Episode 2x08: Identity, Pt. 1
- ↑ Episode 2x10: Blood of Patriots
- ↑ The Orville
- ↑ Episode 1x09: Cupid's Dagger
- ↑ Episode 2x01: Ja'loja
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 15.2 "PLANETARY UNION NETWORK: EPISODE 20". Planetary Union Network. June 17, 2018.
- ↑ Henry, Mike. "Got busted today for @TheOrville season 2 on @FOXTV". Twitter. Jan. 28, 2018.
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ Episode 2x05: All the World is Birthday Cake