Modern humans divided Earth's history into two periods: Old Earth, the time before humans invented the means to travel faster than the speed of light, and Modern Earth.
Old Earth Edit
The planet of the 21st century and earlier was frequently referred to as "Old Earth"[n 1] and "ancient history," an age remembered as a "dark time" in human history.Even Earth is a little fuzzy on some of its own history.— Commander Kelly Grayson
According to Captain Ed Mercer, by 2015, Earth stood at the brink of a major climate disaster that humanity actively attempted to ignore. Of this climactic period, First Officer Kelly Grayson commented, "It's a miracle the human race survived."
Billions have been killed as a consequence of war, slavery, genocide, and persecution. Greed, individualism, and competition have been the governing principles of [Human] society.Knowledge of Old Earth by contemporary humans is uneven due to the passage of time. For example, Kelly knew the capital of the former United States of America had been Washington, D.C., but Helmsman Gordon Malloy did not.[n 2]
Modern Earth Edit
By the early 24th century, Earth became a unified planet with a single representative government in the Planetary Union. Membership in the Union ended humanity's cycle of tyranny and propelled them toward a more civilized society.
Earth was the host world of the Union and held the Union Dockyard, a large docking station for spacecraft, in orbit between the Moon.
Cityscapes were a melange of modern buildings with sleek curves and classical architecture of Old Earth. New York City boasted a city-wide monorail and commuter pods allow for quick, easy transportation. Apartments were common leaseholds in cities.
Besides New York, several other former nations or states continued to exist as regions in the 25th century: Japan, Saint Lucia, New Jersey and Maryland. However, these places were no longer politically independent entities as they had been in Old Earth.
The sizes of cities of modern Earth were relatively unchanged after 400 years. Baltimore, Maryland's size was still 210 square kilometers and New York City continued to be approximately 790 square kilometers.
New York Edit
Several locations of New York are identified:
- Albany - A large city that Doctor Sherman stated still existed in the 25th century.
- New York City
- Saratoga Springs - An Old Earth city and home to Laura Huggins and her friends.
Battle of Earth Edit
Humans of Earth continued to own cats, dogs, and hamsters, as domesticated pets, but zoos were seen as barbaric. The British tale Peter Rabbit remained a common bedtime story for children.
Humans enjoyed bowling for recreation.
Cigarettes were abandoned in Old Earth and, according to Claire, "no one has smoked on Earth in hundreds of years."
Neither phones nor phone numbers were used.
Earth was implied to had become a post-religious society, abandoning spirituality as technology progresses and secular ethics supplant the need for dogma. Teleya even called the Planetary Union "godless." However, some humans adopted religious beliefs independent of society, such as Celeste, Karx, Franz, and Doctor Darden.
Earth of the 25th century mixed artistic achievements of the past with the present.
Television shows like Seinfeld, the songs of Bruce Springsteen, and movies like Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, The King and I, and The Sound of Music were treasured as "classics" but American reality television programming and the music of Billy Joel were forgotten by all but media aficionados.
Relics of media from Old Earth peppered conversations despite the references occasionally being lost on non-human individuals. For example, Doctor Claire Finn told Chief of Security Alara Kitan that she would advise Alara as "her Obi-Wan," referring to the Star Wars film franchise. Alara, a Xelayan, did not understand Claire's reference.
Food and beverages Edit
Most foods and drinks widely enjoyed in the 20th Century were enjoyed in the 25th as well, such as hamburgers, fries, sushi, scotch, Chardonnay wine, champagne, whiskey, bourbon, potato cakes, popcorn, grilled-cheese sandwiches, and soda-pop.
- Beer and cannabis edibles were consumed by some, such as Gordon Malloy and Kelly Grayson, to calm the nerves.
- Ice cream was a "depression food," and rocky road was the flavor most consumed.
- M&M's and pretzels continued to be favored snacks. Ed Mercer even ordered Bortus to keep pretzels on the Briefing Room table for guests.
- Pizza, including pepperoni pizza, was an Earth delicacy favored for celebrations or just a midday meal.
Modern humans continued the education system of Old Earth, including high school and first through eighth grades. After graduation from high school, students could enroll as cadets in Union Point.
Post-scarcity and economy Edit
Well before the 25th century, Union planets, including Earth, entered a post-scarcity economy where most resources were no longer hoarded and money was a thing of the past. Kelly explained that money "became obsolete with the invention of matter synthesis." However, she was careful to note that vices such as greed and ambition had not vanished:
The predominant currency became reputation. The only thing that changed was how we quantify wealth. People still want to be rich, only now rich means being the best at what you do.When asked by the Regorians how society functioned without money, Doctor Claire Finn answered, "We decided a long time ago that forcing people to toil relentlessly in the pursuit of material wealth was an unnatural state for our species to exist in."
Food and matter were generated from stock material through matter synthesis. Food and matter synthesizers helped usher the Union into its post-economy, although items that could not be synthesized, such as unique goods, continued to be valuable even in the distant future.
Alternate timeline Edit
In an alternate timeline where Kelly Grayson did not date and eventually marry Ed Mercer, Earth was scoured in the Battle of Earth and all biological life extinguished by the Kaylon in early 2421. Doctor Claire Finn noted that the Kaylon even killed off the Earth's fish.
- Episode 1x01: Old Wounds
- Episode 1x02: Command Performance (simulation)
- Episode 1x03: About a Girl (simulation)
- Episode 1x04: If the Stars Should Appear (mentioned only)
- Episode 1x05: Pria (mentioned only)
- Episode 1x06: Krill (mentioned only)
- Episode 1x07: Majority Rule (mentioned only)
- Episode 1x08: Into the Fold (mentioned only)
- Episode 1x11: New Dimensions (mentioned only)
- Episode 1x12: Mad Idolatry (mentioned only)
- Episode 1.5x03: The Word of Avis, Pt. 1 (flashback)
- Episode 2x04: Nothing Left on Earth Excepting Fishes (mentioned only)
- Episode 2x06: A Happy Refrain (mentioned only)
- Episode 2x11: Lasting Impressions (mentioned only)
- ↑ Claire Finn: "My God, it looks remarkably a lot like Old Earth." Episode 1x07: Majority Rule Ed Mercer: "Old Earth. Yeah, like 400 years ago." Episode 2x04: Nothing Left on Earth Excepting Fishes
- ↑ It is possible that this can be explained due to the latter's well-documented ignorance of Earth's history. Episode 1x03: About a Girl
- ↑ If the Stars Should Appear
- ↑ Kelly Grayson. Episode 2x08: Identity, Pt. 1
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Episode 1x07: Majority Rule
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Episode 2x11: Lasting Impressions
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Kaylon Primary. Episode 2x08: Identity, Pt. 1
- ↑ Earth is part of the Planetary Union in this time in New Beginnings, Pt. 1.
- ↑ According to Ed Mercer, membership in the Union ended the "oscillation between enlightenment and tyranny." Quote by Kaylon Primary. Episode 2x08: Identity, Pt. 1
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 Episode 1x01: Old Wounds
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 Episode 1x02: Command Performance.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Episode 1x06: Krill
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 11.4 11.5 11.6 11.7 11.8 Episode 2x06: A Happy Refrain
- ↑ Note that First Officer Kelly Grayson speaks of the United States and Washington, D.C. in the past tense. Episode 1x03: About a Girl
- ↑ Episode 1x04: If the Stars Should Appear
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Episode 2x06: A Happy Refrain
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 15.2 Episode 1x11: New Dimensions
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 16.2 Episode 1x05: Pria
- ↑ Episode 1x08: Into the Fold.
- ↑ See generally Episode 1x06: Krill
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 19.2 19.3 19.4 19.5 19.6 Episode 2x04: Nothing Left on Earth Excepting Fishes
- ↑ Episode 1.5x03: The Word of Avis, Pt. 1
- ↑ Episode 2x09: Identity, Pt. 2
- ↑ 22.0 22.1 Episode 1x03: About a Girl
- ↑ 23.0 23.1 Episode 1x04: If the Stars Should Appear
- ↑ 24.0 24.1 24.2 Episode 1.5x02: New Beginnings, Pt. 2
- ↑ 25.0 25.1 Episode 2x05: All the World is Birthday Cake
- ↑ 26.0 26.1 Episode 2x10: Blood of Patriots
- ↑ Episode 2x12: Sanctuary
- ↑ 28.0 28.1 Episode 1x09: Cupid's Dagger
- ↑ Episode 2x02: Primal Urges
- ↑ Episode 2x04: Nothing Left on Earth Excepting Fishes
- ↑ Episode 1x10: Firestorm
- ↑ Claire Finn states that this change occurred "long ago." Episode 2x05: All the World is Birthday Cake
- ↑ Episode 2x14: The Road Not Taken