Old Earth Edit
The planet of the 21st century and earlier is frequently referred to as "Old Earth,"[n 1] remembered as a "dark time" in Human History. Knowledge of Old Earth by contemporary Humans is uneven due to the passage of time. For example, Commander Kelly Grayson of the USS Orville knows that the capital of the former United States of America was Washington, D.C., but Helmsman Gordon Malloy does not.[n 2]Even Earth is a little fuzzy on some of its own history.— Commander Kelly Grayson
Modern Earth Edit
By 2418, Earth is a unified planet with a single representative government in the Planetary Union. Earth is the host world of the Union, and maintains the Union Dockyard, a large docking station for spacecraft.
Cityscapes are a melange of modern buildings with sleek curves and classical architecture of Old Earth. New York City boasts a city-wide monorail and commuter pods allow for quick, easy transportation. Apartments are common leaseholds in cities.
Earth of the 25th century mixes artistic achievements of the past with the present. Television shows like Seinfeld and movies like Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and The Sound of Music are treasured as classics but American reality television programming is forgotten by all but media aficionados. Relics of media from Old Earth pepper conversations despite the references occasionally being lost on non-human individuals. For example, Doctor Claire Finn tells Chief of Security Alara Kitan that she will advise Alara as "her Obi-Wan," referring to the Star Wars film franchise. Alara, as a Xelayan, does not understand Claire's reference.
Humans of Earth continue to own cats, dogs, and hamsters, as domesticated pets, but zoos are seen as barbaric. The British tale Peter Rabbit remains a common bedtime story for children.
Earth is implied to have become a post-religious society, abandoning spirituality as technology progresses and secular ethics supplant the need for dogma.
Food and beverages Edit
- Beer is an alcoholic beverage used by some, such as Gordon Malloy, to calm the nerves.
- Cannabis edible is a consumable form of the drug of the same name.
- Ice cream is a "depression food" often used as a means of alleviation. For the assuaging of depression, rocky road is the flavor most consumed. 
- M&M's continue to be a favored snack.
- Pizza, including pepperoni pizza, is an Earth delicacy favored for celebrations or just a midday meal.
- Pretzels are a snack which Ed Mercer ordered Bortus to have on the table.
- Sushi continues to be a popular, regional dish originating from the island of Japan.
Post-scarcity and economy Edit
Union planets, including Earth, have entered a post-scarcity economy, where most resources are no longer hoarded and money is a thing of the past. Kelly explains that money "became obsolete with the invention of matter synthesis." However, she is careful to note that vices such as greed and ambition have not vanished: "The predominant currency became reputation. The only thing that changed was how we quantify wealth. People still want to be rich, only now rich means being the best at what you do."
Food and matter are generated from stock material through matter synthesis. Food and matter synthesizers helped usher the Union into its post-economy, although items that cannot be synthesized, such as unique goods, continue to be valuable even in the distant future.
- Episode 1x01: Old Wounds
- Episode 1x02: Command Performance (simulation)
- Episode 1x03: About a Girl (simulation)
- Episode 1x04: If the Stars Should Appear (mentioned only)
- Episode 1x05: Pria (mentioned only)
- Episode 1x06: Krill (mentioned only)
- Episode 1x07: Majority Rule (mentioned only)
- Episode 1x08: Into the Fold (mentioned only)
- Episode 1x11: New Dimensions (mentioned only)
- Episode 1x12: Mad Idolatry (mentioned only)
- ↑ Doctor Claire Finn: "My God, it looks remarkably a lot like Old Earth." Episode 1x07: Majority Rule
- ↑ It is possible that this can be explained due to the latter's well-documented ignorance of Earth's history. Episode 1x03: About a Girl
- ↑ If the Stars Should Appear
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Episode 1x07: Majority Rule
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Episode 1x01: Old Wounds
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Episode 1x02: Command Performance.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Episode 1x05: Pria
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Episode 1x03: About a Girl
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Episode 1x04: If the Stars Should Appear
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Episode 1x11: New Dimensions
- ↑ Episode 1x08: Into the Fold.
- ↑ See generally Episode 1x06: Krill
- ↑ Episode 1x09: Cupid's Dagger
- ↑ Episode 2x02: Primal Urges
- ↑ Episode 1x06: Krill