Old Earth Edit
The planet of the 21st century and earlier is frequently referred to as "Old Earth"[n 1] and "ancient history," an age remembered as a "dark time" in Human history.Even Earth is a little fuzzy on some of its own history.— Commander Kelly Grayson
According to Captain Ed Mercer, by 2015, Earth stood at the brink of a major climate disaster that humanity actively attempted to ignore. Of this time, First Officer Kelly Grayson comments, "It's a miracle the human race survived."
Billions have been killed as a consequence of war, slavery, genocide, and persecution. Greed, individualism, and competition have been the governing principles of [Human] society.Knowledge of Old Earth by contemporary Humans is uneven due to the passage of time. For example, Commander Kelly Grayson of the USS Orville knows that the capital of the former United States of America was Washington, D.C., but Helmsman Gordon Malloy does not.[n 2]
Modern Earth Edit
By the early 24th century, Earth is a unified planet with a single representative government in the Planetary Union. Membership in the Union ends humanity's cycle of tyranny and propels them toward a more civilized society.
Earth is the host world of the Union, and maintains the Union Dockyard, a large docking station for spacecraft.
Cityscapes are a melange of modern buildings with sleek curves and classical architecture of Old Earth. New York City boasts a city-wide monorail and commuter pods allow for quick, easy transportation. Apartments are common leaseholds in cities.
Besides New York, several other former nations or states continue to exist as regions in the 25th century: Japan, Saint Lucia, New Jersey and Maryland. However, these places are no longer politically independent entities as they had been in Old Earth.
The sizes of cities of modern Earth are relatively unchanged after 400 years. Baltimore, Maryland's size is still 210 square kilometers and New York City continues to be approximately 790 square kilometers.
New York Edit
Several locations of New York are identified:
- Albany - A large city that Doctor Sherman states still exists in the 25th century.
- New York City
- Saratoga Springs - An Old Earth city and home to Laura Huggins and her friends.
Battle of Earth Edit
The Kaylon attack Earth and its moon in January or February 2421 in an attempt to destroy the Union and wipe out all biological life but a temporary alliance of the Union and Krill successfully fend them off.
Humans of Earth continue to own cats, dogs, and hamsters, as domesticated pets, but zoos are seen as barbaric. The British tale Peter Rabbit remains a common bedtime story for children.
Humans enjoy bowling for recreation.
Cigarettes were abandoned in Old Earth and, according to Claire, "no one has smoked on Earth in hundreds of years."
Neither phones nor phone numbers are used.
Earth is implied to have become a post-religious society, abandoning spirituality as technology progresses and secular ethics supplant the need for dogma. Teleya even calls the Planetary Union "godless." However, some Humans have adopted religious beliefs independent of society, such as Celeste, Karx, Franz, and Doctor Darden.
Earth of the 25th century mixes artistic achievements of the past with the present.
Television shows like Seinfeld, the songs of Bruce Springsteen, and movies like Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, The King and I, and The Sound of Music are treasured as "classics" but American reality television programming and the music of Billy Joel are forgotten by all but media aficionados.
Relics of media from Old Earth pepper conversations despite the references occasionally being lost on non-human individuals. For example, Doctor Claire Finn tells Chief of Security Alara Kitan that she will advise Alara as "her Obi-Wan," referring to the Star Wars film franchise. Alara, a Xelayan, does not understand Claire's reference.
Food and beverages Edit
Most foods and drinks widely enjoyed in the 20th Century are enjoyed in the 25th as well, such as hamburgers, fries, sushi, scotch, Chardonnay wine, champagne, whiskey, potato cakes, popcorn, grilled-cheese sandwiches, and soda-pop.
- Beer and cannabis edibles are consumed by some, such as Gordon Malloy and Kelly Grayson, to calm the nerves.
- Ice cream is a "depression food," and rocky road is the flavor most consumed.
- M&M's and pretzels continue to be favored snacks. Ed Mercer even orders Bortus to keep pretzels on the Briefing Room table for guests.
- Pizza, including pepperoni pizza, is an Earth delicacy favored for celebrations or just a midday meal.
Post-scarcity and economy Edit
Well before the 25th century, Union planets, including Earth, entered a post-scarcity economy where most resources are no longer hoarded and money is a thing of the past. Kelly explains that money "became obsolete with the invention of matter synthesis." However, she is careful to note that vices such as greed and ambition have not vanished: "The predominant currency became reputation. The only thing that changed was how we quantify wealth. People still want to be rich, only now rich means being the best at what you do."
When asked by the Regorians how a society functions without money, Doctor Claire Finn answers, "We decided a long time ago that forcing people to toil relentlessly in the pursuit of material wealth was an unnatural state for our species to exist in."
Food and matter are generated from stock material through matter synthesis. Food and matter synthesizers helped usher the Union into its post-economy, although items that cannot be synthesized, such as unique goods, continue to be valuable even in the distant future.
Alternate timeline Edit
In an alternate timeline where Kelly Grayson does not date and eventually marry Ed Mercer, Earth is scoured and all biological life extinguished by the Kaylon in early 2421. Doctor Claire Finn notes that the Kaylon even killed off the Earth's fish.
- Episode 1x01: Old Wounds
- Episode 1x02: Command Performance (simulation)
- Episode 1x03: About a Girl (simulation)
- Episode 1x04: If the Stars Should Appear (mentioned only)
- Episode 1x05: Pria (mentioned only)
- Episode 1x06: Krill (mentioned only)
- Episode 1x07: Majority Rule (mentioned only)
- Episode 1x08: Into the Fold (mentioned only)
- Episode 1x11: New Dimensions (mentioned only)
- Episode 1x12: Mad Idolatry (mentioned only)
- Episode 1.5x03: The Word of Avis, Pt. 1 (flashback)
- Episode 2x04: Nothing Left on Earth Excepting Fishes (mentioned only)
- Episode 2x06: A Happy Refrain (mentioned only)
- Episode 2x11: Lasting Impressions (mentioned only)
- ↑ Claire Finn: "My God, it looks remarkably a lot like Old Earth." Episode 1x07: Majority Rule Ed Mercer: "Old Earth. Yeah, like 400 years ago." Episode 2x04: Nothing Left on Earth Excepting Fishes
- ↑ It is possible that this can be explained due to the latter's well-documented ignorance of Earth's history. Episode 1x03: About a Girl
- ↑ If the Stars Should Appear
- ↑ Kelly Grayson. Episode 2x08: Identity, Pt. 1
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Episode 1x07: Majority Rule
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Episode 2x11: Lasting Impressions
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Kaylon Primary. Episode 2x08: Identity, Pt. 1
- ↑ Earth is part of the Planetary Union in this time in New Beginnings, Pt. 1.
- ↑ According to Ed Mercer, membership in the Union ended the "oscillation between enlightenment and tyranny." Quote by Kaylon Primary. Episode 2x08: Identity, Pt. 1
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 Episode 1x01: Old Wounds
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 Episode 1x02: Command Performance.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Episode 1x06: Krill
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 11.4 11.5 11.6 11.7 11.8 Episode 2x06: A Happy Refrain
- ↑ Note that First Officer Kelly Grayson speaks of the United States and Washington, D.C. in the past tense. Episode 1x03: About a Girl
- ↑ Episode 1x04: If the Stars Should Appear
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Episode 2x06: A Happy Refrain
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 15.2 Episode 1x11: New Dimensions
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 Episode 1x05: Pria
- ↑ Episode 1x08: Into the Fold.
- ↑ See generally Episode 1x06: Krill
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 19.2 19.3 19.4 19.5 19.6 Episode 2x04: Nothing Left on Earth Excepting Fishes
- ↑ Episode 1.5x03: The Word of Avis, Pt. 1
- ↑ Episode 2x09: Identity, Pt. 2
- ↑ 22.0 22.1 Episode 1x03: About a Girl
- ↑ 23.0 23.1 Episode 1x04: If the Stars Should Appear
- ↑ 24.0 24.1 24.2 Episode 1.5x02: New Beginnings, Pt. 2
- ↑ 25.0 25.1 Episode 2x05: All the World is Birthday Cake
- ↑ 26.0 26.1 Episode 2x10: Blood of Patriots
- ↑ 27.0 27.1 Episode 1x09: Cupid's Dagger
- ↑ Episode 2x02: Primal Urges
- ↑ Claire Finn states that this change occurred "long ago." Episode 2x05: All the World is Birthday Cake