Launch Day, Pt. 2 is the second issue of Season 2.5 of The Orville published by Dark Horse Comics. It is the second part of a special two-part episode known as Launch Day. Acting captain Bortus stands off against the Krill, while Gordon Malloy and John LaMarr find a way into the "Construct." Meanwhile, Ed Mercer and Kelly Grayson race against time to investigate the mysterious "Launch Day."
Plot[edit | edit source]
Chief Engineer John LaMarr and Helmsman Gordon Malloy have arrived at the "Construct," but quantum interference prevents scanning its interior. Captain Ed Mercer orders them by comscanner to find a way into the Construct to determine if it is a weapon.
Launch Day on Alibar, and the Alibar celebrate in the streets. Ed and Kelly walk into a registration office and get Ycil's address. Meanwhile, John and Gordon find a maintenance hatch into the Construct. They match their shuttlecraft's quantum frequency to the Construct's to avoid detection and dock. The hatch opens to reveal an empty hallway. Ed and Kelly find Ycil's home. His mother answers the door only to say her son died, then reluctantly admits the two in.
In space, Captain Kratok's war fleet begins preparing an attack, telling acting captain Bortus they have waited long enough. Bortus threatens to fire upon the bridge of Kratok's ship if he does not acquiesce, and Kratok agrees to wait a bit longer.
The Construct's hallways are deserted and there are no vents, but John detects the source of the quantum interference.
Ycil's mother reveals her son died of illness, but at the end of his life hated Pret, the leader of the Alibar for the last 20 years. "He just couldn't accept the fact that invaders were killing us." She retires to the kitchen, but not before saying that the government had spent an enormous sum on a "quantum shifter."
The source of the quantum interference is a massive quantum engine, the largest John has ever seen. John and Gordon speak with Ed and Kelly, and the four realize that the engine is about to create a quantum "wall" around the Alibar system; the Alibars would isolate themselves by sending their system into a new Universe. Just then, Alibaran officers arrest Ed and Kelly.
The officers imprison the two officers in jail with less than an hour remaining before launch. Inspector Baglish enters to interrogate them, holding their Planetary Union equipment. Kelly tricks Baglish by saying the Union has already sabotaged the quantum shifter. Baglish take Ed and Kelly to the government building, but Gordon and John land just in time to rescue them. The four quickly return to the Orville.
Bortus tries to convince Kratok to call off the attack because the Construct is about to shift the entire system into a new universe, but the Krill are unpersuaded. They continue their attack while the Orville flees at maximum speed. Moments later, the Alibars shift universes... along with the attacking Krill fleet. Kratok successfully destroys the Construct only to discover they are in a universe empty of all things but Alibar and its sun. Kratok realizes the Union was not lying, so he decides to invade and conquer the planet.
Production[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The issue thanks Seth MacFarlane, science adviser André Bormanis, executive producers Brannon Braga and Jason Clark, writer Gerry Duggan of Marvel Comics, digital effects supervisor Brandon Fayette, production secretary Rahne Keith, Joy Fehily (who manages MacFarlane and Fuzzy Door Productions), publicist Cassy Brewer (who works with Fehily), Sheri Conn of The Consultancy Project, and executive director Carol Roeder of 20th Century Fox.
Timeline[edit | edit source]
- The episode takes place in July 2421.
- The issue takes place during the second day of the investigation of Alibar and the Quantum Shifter.
- About two hours pass between Ed and Kelly's meeting with Ycil's mother and the Orville's narrow escape from the planet's quantum shift to a new universe.
- Ed and Kelly are imprisoned with "less than an hour" before shifting.
Mistakes[edit | edit source]
- The "Anhkana" is erroneously spelled "Ankhana."
- The previous issue established that Ed and Kelly ran out of a diner on the day before Launch Day. This episode opens to Ed and Kelly having left the diner, but the day has inexplicably jumped to the next: Launch Day.
- In the panel where John and Gordon fire upon Inspector Baglish and a fellow officer, Ed and Kelly have their hands behind their backs but there are no handcuffs or bindings around their wrists.
Cast[edit | edit source]
Main Cast[edit | edit source]
- Capt. Ed Mercer
- Cmdr. Kelly Grayson
- Lt. Cmdr. Bortus
- Lt. Cmdr. John LaMarr
- Lt. Talla Keyali
- Dr. Claire Finn
- Lt. Gordon Malloy
Special Guest Cast[edit | edit source]
Recurring Cast[edit | edit source]
- Captain Kratok
Guest Cast[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Mainframe Comic Con | Sunday | Part 2. Chuck Load of Comics. April 26, 2020.