Moclans are a humanoid species native to the planet Moclus. Moclans are nearly entirely male, as the female sex has nearly disappeared as the species evolved.For generations, my people struggled to survive on a desolate world. It was only our culture, our traditions that sustained us. It is who we are.— Bortus
Moclans are known for their highly industrialized military complex. They are members of the Planetary Union.
Moclans possess light brown skin. Their most distinct feature are the cranial ridges and skin spots that run along the sides and top of their head. Male Moclans sport skin spots only along the sides of their heads while rare females have them on their center ridge as well.[n 1] Moclans are naturally hairless, but can be enabled to grow hair through use of a follicle stimulator.I never cease to be impressed by the resilience of the Moclan body.— Doctor Claire Finn
Females are extremely rare in Moclan society, with one being born roughly every 75 years.
This single gender species reproduces by laying eggs, which suggests that Moclans may be reptilian in nature rather than mammalian. Their gestation period is remarkably brief for such an advanced life form, only 21 days, and requires the parent to sit on it until it hatches.
Moclans can eat nearly anything, due to the species having evolved to draw nourishment from a large variety of organic and inorganic matter, from a whole piece of wasabi to cactus plants, glass, napkins and forks. Their digestive system is apparently quite advanced. Not only are their bodies able to digest an impressive array of substances, they produce minimal waste byproducts, urinating just once a year.
Culture EditHeveena - dot the mountains.
Their culture is strict and bound by tradition. When Moclans depart on a journey of great importance, it is customary for parties to quote a fitting passage from notable literary works. Moclans only urinate once per year. When the time comes, they are expected to return to Moclus and urinate at a place they choose in their youth, with the Moclan's closest friends witnessing the event and joining them in a celebration afterwards. This ritual is called a Ja'loja. 
If a Moclan wished to divorce their mate, it is customary for them to stab their mate in order for them to divorce them.
The rare female Moclan sex is regarded with "disgust" and "shame" by a majority of other Moclans, incapable of fully participating in the species's warrior culture.[n 2]
The Moclan language and writing script can be found throughout the planet Moclus or spoken by native Moclans. Several words of the Moclan language are known: gomaskah, which translates to 'first date;' latchkum, a popular party game; oppsada, a popular Moclan beverage; Ja'loja, a Moclan's annual urination ceremony; Da'klaya, the Moclan astrological system; and kodashik, which translates to 'boyfriend'.
Names tend to be single, without a second name denoting tribe or ethnicity, or simply to distinguish the referent from other people of the same first name. The author Gondus Elden is an exception, though one of those names may in fact be a title or adjective.
- Bortus - Second Officer of the Orville.
- Klyden - Bortus' mate on board the Orville.
- Topa - The child of Bortus and Klyden.
- Kagus - Tribunal advocate.
- Kaybrak - Minister of Internal Affairs
- Heveena (Gondus Elden) - Famous Novelist; one of the only known female Moclans to never undergo gender reassignment surgery.
Moclan clothing was designed by wardrobe designer Joseph Porro. When Porro learned that the Moclan skin would be similar to burnt hombre and that planet Moclus's surface was ruddy and red, he shifted the clothing color palette to blacks, grays, and reds to "flatter" the make-up.
The first information about the Moclan species came in July 22, 2017 at the San Diego Comic-Con when Peter Macon (Bortus) revealed that Moclans are an all-male species who urinate once per year. Building up to the series premiere, the Moclan species became a favorite topic of the cast in interviews.
Moclan language EditThe Moclan writing system was reprinted with an English transcription by Jeff Bond in the book The World of the Orville. The consonants more or less correspond with English's, with two added letters; however, their phonological values are undetermined: a, b, c, ç, d, f, g, h, j, k, l, m, n, ñ, p, q, r, s, t, v, w, x, y, z. The vowels have plain and umlauted versions (except for the unusual letter ǽ), and are undetermined phonologically as well: a, ä, ǽ, e, ë, i, o, ö, u, ü. Additionally, there are characters for ? and . as well.
Currently, no Moclan writing has been deciphered.
Moclan ship Edit
- In the original script, the name of the species was Moclin and later Moclam.
- In Old Wounds, it is revealed that Moclans only urinate once per year.
- Episode 1x01: Old Wounds
- Episode 1x02: Command Performance
- Episode 1x03: About a Girl
- Episode 1x04: If the Stars Should Appear
- Episode 1x05: Pria
- Episode 1x06: Krill
- Episode 1x07: Majority Rule
- Episode 1x08: Into the Fold
- Episode 1x09: Cupid's Dagger
- Episode 1x10: Firestorm
- Episode 1x11: New Dimensions
- Episode 1x12: Mad Idolatry
- ↑ Topa, Heveena, and Klyden all host centered spots. All born-male Moclans have spots only along the sides.
- ↑ Advocate Kagus in Episode 1x03: About a Girl
- ↑ Episode 2x07: Deflectors
- ↑ Episode 2x02: Primal Urges
- ↑ Episode 2x06: A Happy Refrain
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Episode 1x03: About a Girl
- ↑ Episode 1x02: Command Performance
- ↑ Episode 1x06: Krill
- ↑ Episode 2x07: Deflectors
- ↑ Episode 1x01: Old Wounds
- ↑ Berger, Howard & Maxine Morris. "Space and Beyond". The Artisan. 2018.
- ↑ Wyckoff, Anna. "The Orville". Costume Designers Guild. Oct. 10, 2017.
- ↑ "SDCC 2017: The Orville - Peter Macon, Mark Jackson, Chad L Coleman". Whedonopolis Video. July 26, 2017.
- ↑ Bond, Jeff. The World of the Orville. Titan Books. 2018. Pg. 141.
- ↑ Dilip, Mangala. "'The Orville' sound designers on breaking sci-fi conventions and bringing 'new flavors' to season 2". Dec. 17, 2018.