Moclans are a humanoid species native to the planet Moclus. Moclans are nearly entirely male, as the female sex is heavily discriminated against and surgical procedures are applied to any female at birth to convert them to male. The Moclan Government claims only 1 female is born every 75 years, but the actual numbers are much higher.For generations, my people struggled to survive on a desolate world. It was only our culture, our traditions that sustained us. It is who we are.— Bortus
Moclans are known for their highly industrialized military complex, being the sole supplier of weaponry for many races. They are members of the Planetary Union.
Moclans possess light brown skin. Their most distinct feature are the cranial ridges and skin spots that run along the sides and top of their head. Male Moclans sport skin spots only along the sides of their heads while rare females have them on their center ridge as well.[n 1] Moclans are naturally hairless, but can be enabled to grow hair through use of a follicle stimulator.I never cease to be impressed by the resilience of the Moclan body.— Doctor Claire Finn
Moclan physiology is remarkably hardy. They can eat nearly anything, due to the species having evolved to draw nourishment from a large variety of organic and inorganic matter, from a whole piece of wasabi to cactus plants, glass, napkins and forks. Their bodies can withstand doses of radiation that would instantly kill any other species.
The Moclan digestive system is very water-efficient, and the adult urinates only once a year.
Females are extremely rare in Moclan society, with it being claimed that one is born roughly every 75 years. However, this is false information circulated by the government, and in fact many more are born. The government heavily discriminates against females, and if found all female children are put through a "corrective procedure" in order to make them male. Those who do not approve of this must hide their female children, and a smuggling ring existed to ferry female infants and their parents to a hidden colony. The Moclan government has been hunting for the colony for years. After it's existence was made known to The Union, they tried to recognize the colony as sovereign in order to protect its people. Moclas threatened war, but after negotiation, The Union agreed not to recognize the colony as a sovereign state if the Moclan government would leave the planet alone, although the smuggling ring was ended as a part of this agreement.
This species reproduces by laying eggs, which suggests that Moclans may be reptilian in nature rather than mammalian. Their gestation period is remarkably brief for such an advanced life form, only 21 days, and requires the parent to sit on it until it hatches. Moclan's mature quickly, reaching the level of Human 10 year olds in around a year.
Culture EditHeveena - dot the mountains.
Their culture is strict and bound by tradition. When Moclans depart on a journey of great importance, it is customary for parties to quote a fitting passage from notable literary works. Moclans only urinate once per year. When the time comes, they are expected to return to Moclus and urinate at a place they choose in their youth, with the Moclan's closest friends witnessing the event and joining them in a celebration afterwards. This ritual is called a Ja'loja.
If a Moclan wished to divorce his mate, it is customary "to terminate the life of his mate."
The supposedly-rare female Moclan sex is regarded with "disgust" and "shame" by a majority of other Moclans, incapable of fully participating in the species's warrior culture.[n 2]
The Moclan language and writing script can be found throughout the planet Moclus or spoken by native Moclans. Several words of the Moclan language are known:
- da'klaya, a Moclan astrological system
- gomaskah, 'first date'
- ja'loja, literally 'great release,' a Moclan's annual urination ceremony
- kodashik, 'boyfriend'
- latchkum, a popular party game
- n'kafas, site of the ja'loja
- oppsada, a popular Moclan beverage
Names tend to be single, without a second name denoting tribe or ethnicity, or simply to distinguish the referent from other people of the same first name. The author Gondus Elden is an exception, though one of those names may in fact be a title or adjective.
A longer, untranslated sentence in Moclus is known as well, galashkah me'mek-gadlas fekto roshas... bam val... ja'loja!, which is uttered by Bortus at his ja'loja.
Little is known of any historical Moclan religious belief, although evidently some Moclans believe in a soul.
Moclan Fleet Edit
The Moclans has a fleet of ships, only 3 types of Moclan Ships were seen, starships and Transports and Battlecruisers, which they presumably use for defense or trade. They also operate space stations, one such station was refitting Union ships with enhanced weaponry in Episode 2x12 "Sanctuary"
Relations with the Union Edit
The Moclans are the sole suppliers of weaponry to the majority of Union Member Worlds. The deflector screen technology used by Union ships is hinted to be of Moclan design in the episode "Deflectors", as the regulations governing their use are written by a renowned Moclan engineer.
Diplomacy wise, due to the Moclan society is built around their highly developed military industry, they are viewed not so favourly by many Union Member worlds but regardlessly accepted the Moclans as they were the sole weapons supplier, at times tensions runs so high, war nearly broke out twice in Episodes 1x03 "About a Girl" and 2x12 "Sanctuary"
- Bortus - Second Officer of the Orville.
- Klyden - Bortus' mate on board the Orville.
- Topa - The child of Bortus and Klyden.
- Kagus - Tribunal advocate.
- Kaybrak - Minister of Internal Affairs
- Heveena (Gondus Elden) - Famous Novelist; one of the female Moclans to never undergo gender reassignment surgery.
- Jakohn - Captain of a Moclan Battlecruiser
Moclan clothing was designed by wardrobe designer Joseph Porro. When Porro learned that the Moclan skin would be similar to burnt hombre and that planet Moclus's surface was ruddy and red, he shifted the clothing color palette to blacks, grays, and reds to "flatter" the make-up.
The first information about the Moclan species came in July 22, 2017 at the San Diego Comic-Con when Peter Macon (Bortus) revealed that Moclans are an all-male species who urinate once per year. Building up to the series premiere, the Moclan species became a favorite topic of the cast in interviews.
Moclan language EditThe Moclan writing system was reprinted with an English transcription by Jeff Bond in the book The World of the Orville. The consonants more or less correspond with English's, with two added letters; however, their phonological values are undetermined: a, b, c, ç, d, f, g, h, j, k, l, m, n, ñ, p, q, r, s, t, v, w, x, y, z. The vowels have plain and umlauted versions (except for the unusual letter ǽ), and are undetermined phonologically as well: a, ä, ǽ, e, ë, i, o, ö, u, ü. Additionally, there are characters for ? and . as well.
Some Moclan texts were "written" by graphic designer Michelle Peters for display on the walls, such as in Doctor Gulnar's office in the Environmental Simulator program Bortus 931. The inscriptions read Moclus.
Moclan ship Edit
- In the original script, the name of the species was Moclin and later Moclam.
- In Old Wounds, it is revealed that Moclans only urinate once per year.
- The Moclans are quite similiar to the Asari, an all-female species from the Mass Effect Universe. The only difference is Moclans settle on a military society while Asari settle on a Religious Council, another noticeable difference is Moclans are only known to mate with each other of their own kind but Asari are able to mate among their kin and members of other species.
- According to artist David Cabeza, who inked the official Season 1.5 comic books, the Moclans are the most difficult species to draw.
- Episode 1x01: Old Wounds
- Episode 1x02: Command Performance
- Episode 1x03: About a Girl
- Episode 1x04: If the Stars Should Appear
- Episode 1x05: Pria
- Episode 1x06: Krill
- Episode 1x07: Majority Rule
- Episode 1x08: Into the Fold
- Episode 1x09: Cupid's Dagger
- Episode 1x10: Firestorm
- Episode 1x11: New Dimensions
- Episode 1x12: Mad Idolatry
- ↑ Topa, Heveena, and Klyden all host centered spots. All born-male Moclans have spots only along the sides.
- ↑ Advocate Kagus in Episode 1x03: About a Girl
- ↑ Episode 2x07: Deflectors
- ↑ Episode 2x02: Primal Urges
- ↑ Episode 2x06: A Happy Refrain
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Episode 2x02: Primal Urges
- ↑ Episode 1x06: Krill
- ↑ Episode 2x07: Deflectors
- ↑ Episode 1x01: Old Wounds
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 Episode 1x03: About a Girl
- ↑ Episode 1x02: Command Performance
- ↑ Bortus. Episode 2x02: Primal Urges
- ↑ Listed in subtitles as kalaskacha mech-gadlas fekto roschas bam val. However, this is hardly what Bortus says when listening to the audio. Episode 2x01: Ja'loja
- ↑ Klyden: "I swear on the soul of my child." Episode 2x02: Primal Urges
- ↑ Berger, Howard & Maxine Morris. "Space and Beyond". The Artisan. 2018.
- ↑ Wyckoff, Anna. "The Orville". Costume Designers Guild. Oct. 10, 2017.
- ↑ "SDCC 2017: The Orville - Peter Macon, Mark Jackson, Chad L Coleman". Whedonopolis Video. July 26, 2017.
- ↑ Bond, Jeff. The World of the Orville. Titan Books. 2018. Pg. 141.
- ↑ The Orville - Season 1 & 2. Michelle Peters. Last accessed May 18, 2019.
- ↑ Episode 2x02: Primal Urges
- ↑ Dilip, Mangala. "'The Orville' sound designers on breaking sci-fi conventions and bringing 'new flavors' to season 2". Dec. 17, 2018.
- ↑ "The Redenbacher Ep 12- David Cabeza Interview". The Redenbacher. June 26, 2019.