On the Sanctuary world, Commander Kelly Grayson and Lieutenant Commander Bortus wield plasma rifles as they fight alongside a breakaway colony of Moclans against Moclan Fleet warriors sent to take them back to Moclus. Ultimately, the battle ends with a ceasefire as the Union reaches an agreement with Heveena and Moclus.
In an alternate timeline where the Kaylon won the Battle of Earth, plasma rifles are among the arsenal of Alara Kitan's resistance base, and are used by the rebels when they are attacked by the Kaylon.
The PM-57R was designed by senior concept designer Lex Cassar and property master Bryan Rodgers under the working title of "PM-57R Longbow" as a combat rifle for the Union in Season 2. The gun design was "a nod to the large phaser rifles of [the Star Trek film] First Contact," and meant to give the Union a weapon "for drawn out, mid to long range fights."
Rodgers posted an early concept sketch of the PM-57R to his Twitter.
- Episode 2x01: Ja'loja
- Episode 2x07: Deflectors
- Episode 2x09: Identity, Pt. 2
- Episode 2x12: Sanctuary
- Episode 2x14: The Road Not Taken
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 @BryanRodgersSOA. "This Rembrandt is my concept of the PM-57R Kelly and Bortus are holding. That makes a total four Union weapons. Boom, Bitch.". Twitter. April 13, 2019.
- ↑ Episode 2x12: Sanctuary
- ↑ Episode 2x14: The Road Not Taken
- ↑ @GDNaturedVLLN. "That was just a working title. Not official.". Twitter. March 20, 2019.
- ↑ @GDNaturedVLLN. "Here is a sneak peak at the new union combat rifles I designed for season 2 of @TheOrville along with @Bryanrodgerssoa. A nod to the large phaser rifles of ST: First Contact, these gives the Union a weapon that's meant for drawn out, mid to long range fights. #TheOrville". Twitter. March 18, 2019.