Sometime before the 25th century, the Planetary Union was founded. Though the current command of the Union is on Earth, it is unclear who the original founders were or their species. Planetary Union Central was established as the operating building for the Union.
Union Central is the hub of the Planetary Union, a skyscraper abutting Central Park in New York City. Desk admirals command a retinue of officers and communicate with the fleet in space through messages. Messages may be encoded for security or for marked high or low priority. Fleet officers keep Union Central apprised through reports filed after incidents.[n 1]
Union Central operates a database of files of Union personnel, including academic records and aptitude ratings.
For shots of New York City from the perspective of the windows of Union Central's offices, digital effects company FuseFX and visual effects supervisor Tommy Tran created a digital matte painting of the city inside the window pane, "brought to life using CG [computer graphics] ships and CG pods - lots of air traffic." Tran continued,
It's just a flat, two-dimensional painting of a million buildings - or 600 or whatever number we ended up with. Then we added small nuances, such as moving water, clouds, little ships, little taxis, little transports here and there just to draw the eye to some sort of movement that made our matte painting come alive.
- Episode 1x01: Old Wounds
- Episode 1x02: Command Performance
- Episode 1x09: Cupid's Dagger
- Episode 1x11: New Dimensions
- Episode 1x12: Majority Rule
- Episode 2x02: Primal Urges
- Episode 2x04: Nothing Left on Earth Excepting Fishes (mentioned only)
- Episode 2x05: All the World is Birthday Cake
- Episode 2x08: Identity, Pt. 1
- Episode 2x09: Identity, Pt. 2
- ↑ Captain Ed Mercer files a report at the end of New Dimensions. Ed says that Union Central will want to be kept apprised of the multiphasic planet in Mad Idolatry.