The Science Officer works in stations of the Science department on a Union Fleet vessel. Responsibilities include research and analysis of all strange or unexplained phenomena,[n 1] data retrieved from sensor readings,[n 2] and oftentimes assisting away teams. Science Officers often work in conjunction with engineers to research important, unexplained happenings.
Medical Officers are specialists Science Officers who have attained the title of doctor or nurse.
Science and Medical Officers both wear green uniforms as both are researchers of natural philosophy. The Science insignia is an atom-like emblem. The Medical insignia is a green cross surrounding an atom.
The purview of Science and Medical sections is medicine, life sciences, astronomy, chemistry, biology, exobiology, mathematics, and computer science.
Space Travel ManualEdit
- As an exploratory vessel, The Orville requires top-notch scientists to aid in its investigation of the unknown and help solve the riddles of the universe.
Chief Science OfficersEdit
- Kelly Grayson: Held the rank of Lieutenant circa 2414. Was temporally displaced seven years in the future to the Orville, where she was temporarily posted before being returned to her own time. Eventually promoted to the rank of Commander by September 2419, when she joined the Orville as First Officer.
- Palovis: Attends to the plants aboard the Orville.
- "Janel Tyler": Assigned to the Orville as dark matter cartographer in late 2420. Later revealed to be Teleya, a Krill infiltrator; returned to her people.
- ↑ Episode 1x04: If the Stars Should Appear.
- ↑ Bond, Jeff. The World of the Orville. Titan Books. 2018. Pg. 32.
- ↑ Episode 2x13: Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow
- ↑ Episode 1x11: New Dimensions
- ↑ Episode 2x01: Ja'loja
- ↑ Episode 2x04: Nothing Left on Earth Excepting Fishes
<ref>tags exist for a group named "n", but no corresponding
<references group="n"/>tag was found.