The Shipmaster Qualification Program, colloquially known as the Command Test, is an intensive training program designed to qualify an officer for a Command position within the Planetary Union.You don't pass the Command Test overnight. It could take months.— Kelly Grayson
According to First Officer Kelly Grayson, the Shipmaster Qualification Program consisted of a "tremendous" amount of training, including course work, Environmental Simulator tests, and medical and psychological evaluations. The program includes:
- A medical and psychological evaluation that includes a Rorschach blot test performed by a Medical Officer.
- A performance evaluation of command in an Environmental Simulator, where the candidate faces a difficult tactical situation against a hostile adversary such as a violent Krill captain.
In one practice simulated test, a Krill captain demands the release of prisoners lest he destroy the ship. The goal is to find a single diplomatic solution without resorting to force. (The Krill ship is vastly more powerful and will destroy the test taker's vessel anyway.) The test is particularly difficult: the simulation pits the candidate at a disadvantage against a cunning adversary.
- Gordon Malloy, helmsman of the USS Orville, formally requested to take the Shipmaster Qualification Program in October 2420.
- Episode 1x02: Command Performance (Indirect mention only)
- Episode 2x04: Nothing Left on Earth Excepting Fishes