HistoryEditBortus lays an egg and incubates it for 21 days around October 2419. The egg hatches and the parents are shocked to see the hatchling is female, extremely rare among Moclans. The parents initially decline to name the child until a sex-change operation can be performed to make her male.
Fearing their female child would be outcast by Moclan society, Bortus and Klyden petition Doctor Claire Finn for sex reassignment surgery. She refuses, so the couple unsuccessfully appeals to Captain Ed Mercer to order Finn to perform the operation. Mercer denies the appeal.
After watching the film Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Bortus changes his mind and opposes the surgery, but Klyden is adamant the procedure take place. The disagreement leads to a formal Tribunal on the planet Moclus. The jury finds in favor of Klyden, and the surgery is performed by Moclan doctors the following day.
Later, alone in their quarters, Bortus and Klyden name their baby Topa.
Along with Klyden, Topa was among Bortus' family and friends who bore witness to his Ja'loja on Moclus. Following this, he attended the celebrations in the Orville mess hall.
- Episode 1x01: Old Wounds (mentioned only)
- Episode 1x02: Command Performance (as an egg)
- Episode 1x03: About a Girl
- Episode 1x04: If the Stars Should Appear
- Episode 1x09: Cupid's Dagger
- Episode 1x12: Mad Idolatry (mentioned only)
- Episode 2x01: Ja'loja
- Episode 2x02: Primal Urges
- Episode 2x05: All the World is Birthday Cake
- |Episode 2x06: A Happy Refrain